The scope covers independent air cleaners for tertiary sector and residential (domestic) applications that comply with the following definition: "electrically powered device mainly comprising a fan and components with properties for collecting and/or destroying (partially or fully) air pollutants."
The programme applies to:
ranges containing at least one device with an air flow rate less than or equal to 400 m3/h;
air cleaners with a rated voltage of no more than 250 V for single-phase devices and 480 V for other devices.
Devices that do not have a fan, particularly "static" air cleaners (which use natural convection) are excluded from the scope.
Standalone air purification device
Electrically powered device that is basically built of a fan and a set of components possessing the ability to capture and/or (partially or totally) destroy air pollutants.
A set of air cleaner models having different air flow rates under the same trade name, using the same technology and with the same internal components.
An independent air cleaner model relates to a set of product references having shared technical characteristics and performance levels.
Any variation that does not affect the performance of the device does not constitute a model variation.
Purification efficiency (E) defined as the difference in pollutant concentrations measured upstream and downstream of the air purification device under test, as a ratio of the upstream concentration.
Air flow rate
Volumetric flow rate of air (Q) delivered through the purification device under test (in m³/h for a reference air mass per unit volume of 1.20 kg/m³, at a temperature of 20 °C and a pressure of 1.013 × 105 Pa).
Purified air flow rate
Purified air flow rate (QAE) is equal to purification efficiency (E) multiplied by the air flow rate (Q) of the purification device under test (in m³/h for a reference air mass per unit volume of 1.20 kg/m³ at a temperature of 20 °C and a pressure of 1.013 × 105 Pa).
At maximum operating speed:
- Purification efficiency: purified air flow rate for each category
- Breathable particles suspended in the air
- Gaseous pollutants (formaldehyde, toluene, etc.) (optional, on request)
- Microorganisms (bacteria and mould) (optional, on request)
- Allergens (optional, on request)
- Energy efficiency (purification efficiency/energy consumption).
- Recommended room area for each pollutant category.
At 1, 2 or 3 operating speeds :
- Device air circulation flow rate.
- Energy consumption: absorbed electrical power.
- Noise impact: sound power level.